D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What book(s) are you reading?

+4
don222ald
hosebeast
damienthulhu
Hoarse Pat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What book(s) are you reading? Empty What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 am

Hoarse Pat

I know I'm not the only person on this board who reads. Right now I am reading:
Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs
Manhood For Amateurs - Michael Chabon
Tell-All - Chuck Palahniuk

2What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 pm

damienthulhu

damienthulhu

right now im reading Imajica by Clive Barker and A Dreamers Tales by Dunsany i just finished Everville and The Great and Secret Show both by Barker.

http://www.myspace.com/damienbigfoot

3What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 pm

hosebeast

hosebeast

fear and loathing in las vegas
hot water music
trainspotting
clockwork orange
breakfast of champions
fight club

did i get everybody?

4What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 pm

damienthulhu

damienthulhu

And of course Im still rereading any Lovecraft.

http://www.myspace.com/damienbigfoot

5What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Hoarse Pat

hosebeast wrote:fear and loathing in las vegas
hot water music
trainspotting
clockwork orange
breakfast of champions
fight club

did i get everybody?

Thompson
Bukowski (poor choice though)
Welsh
Burgess
Vonnegut
Palahniuk
You forgot Ellis and Kerouac.

6What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:19 pm

don222ald

hot water music
trainspotting
clockwork orange
breakfast of champions
fight club

did i get everybody?

wow

7What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Popsiclesyay

Popsiclesyay

I am currently reading:

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson and Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

http://www.myspace.com/popsiclesyay

8What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:31 am

Hoarse Pat

Popsiclesyay wrote:I am currently reading:

Bill Bryson rules.

9What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 am

Popsiclesyay

Popsiclesyay

Hoarse Pat wrote:
Popsiclesyay wrote:I am currently reading:

Bill Bryson rules.

I love Bryson. I have read all but two of his books. The only books I haven't read are Made In America and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. My favorites would have to be A Walk In The Woods and A Short History of Nearly Everything.

http://www.myspace.com/popsiclesyay

10What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 am

butt_coffin

butt_coffin

grapes of wrath

11What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:24 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

Hoarse Pat wrote:
hot water music
trainspotting
clockwork orange
breakfast of champions
fight club

did i get everybody?

Thompson
Welsh
Burgess
Vonnegut
Palahniuk

i wasn't making fun of anyone in particular, just how alternative high school kids post pictures of these authors on their myspaces like clockwork.

anyway, you didn't like hot water music? some of the stories are lame but there are some real gems in there. i haven't read it in years, but the one about dude finding a body in the freezer and killing the bartender is awesome. also there are a lot of good songs and albums named after stuff in that book. frankly i think a lot of bukowski is really mediocre; kind of like a one trick pony, but he definitely had talent. it's a double edged sword though because you hear people talk about how good he would have been had he stopped drinking, but i definitely feel like he couldn't have written the way he did had he not been a horrible alcoholic.

i'm reading crimes against nature by robert f. kennedy jr. if any of you guys give a fuck about politics or the environment, you should grip this ASAP. it's all about how the bush EPA(and other government agencies) appointments totally fucked everything up and added to his dismantling of the constitution. pretty disgusting shit, but it's a really really good read.

12What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

hot water music
trainspotting
clockwork orange
breakfast of champions
fight club

did i get everybody?

This is one of the most clever things that I have read from this forum, and I'm not joking. Maybe I'm just a literature snob, but I get down with jokes making fun of trendy kids reading trendy books about bad shit. You also forgot I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

In all reality, though, everything on your list is actually good. You can't diss on beginners getting into good literature, though.

https://facebook.com/theloniuspunk

13What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

Double post. Lick my butt.

I've been reading The Stranger by Albert Camus recently, and I just bought Frankenstein from some goofy flea market thing in Belltown.

14What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Hoarse Pat

hosebeast wrote:
Hoarse Pat wrote:
hot water music
trainspotting
clockwork orange
breakfast of champions
fight club

did i get everybody?

Thompson
Welsh
Burgess
Vonnegut
Palahniuk

i wasn't making fun of anyone in particular, just how alternative high school kids post pictures of these authors on their myspaces like clockwork.

anyway, you didn't like hot water music? some of the stories are lame but there are some real gems in there. i haven't read it in years, but the one about dude finding a body in the freezer and killing the bartender is awesome. also there are a lot of good songs and albums named after stuff in that book. frankly i think a lot of bukowski is really mediocre; kind of like a one trick pony, but he definitely had talent. it's a double edged sword though because you hear people talk about how good he would have been had he stopped drinking, but i definitely feel like he couldn't have written the way he did had he not been a horrible alcoholic.

i'm reading crimes against nature by robert f. kennedy jr. if any of you guys give a fuck about politics or the environment, you should grip this ASAP. it's all about how the bush EPA(and other government agencies) appointments totally fucked everything up and added to his dismantling of the constitution. pretty disgusting shit, but it's a really really good read.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe if they read some Capote or Hemingway they might have some more authors in there. But I guess they're trendy too, eh?

Some of Bukowski's short stories are good. The bartender one is my favorite, but I like his novels more. Women is too good in my opinion. I think he was great. His poetry is usually real good as well. If he had quit drinking, he probably wouldn't have even written half of what he did.

15What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:16 am

brummy

brummy

why does it matter what somebody else reads? fuck your elitism.

d.Nihl wrote:Double post. Lick my butt.

I've been reading The Stranger by Albert Camus recently, and I just bought Frankenstein from some goofy flea market thing in Belltown.

i had to read this for class last year, it was actually really good.

16What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:34 am

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

brummy wrote:why does it matter what somebody else reads? fuck your elitism.

d.Nihl wrote:Double post. Lick my butt.

i had to read this for class last year, it was actually really good.

I don't think anybody really said that it mattered what anyone else reads. It's the same as making fun of someone for listening to trendy music, loving trendy movies or dressing trendy. None of us said that it matters, someone just made a joke. Fuck your defensive posturing.

And Vonnegut is a great author, no matter how childish he is. His greatness is his child-like tendencies.

Post Office is my favorite Bukowski novel. His short stories are mostly good, but they're all kind of the same.

Kerouac is better than Bukowski.

17What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:47 am

brummy

brummy

I was afraid you'd think I was directing that towards you. It was actually directed towards a certain person that always feels the need to make fun of others for their tastes and opinions that differ from his.

18What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

i hope they serve beer in hell was dumb as fuck

Last edited by hosebeast on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total

19What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

DP

20What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

brummy wrote:I was afraid you'd think I was directing that towards you. It was actually directed towards a certain person that always feels the need to make fun of others for their tastes and opinions that differ from his.

Yeah, I wasn't sure where it was targeted. I just bit on it, really, to make the point that people making fun of people isn't a big deal. Everyone's thinks that they're shit smells better than the next guy's. Sorry for saying fuck at you, ha.

And I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell epitomizes my hatred for fraternity bro culture.

21What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Hoarse Pat

I like Bukowski much more than Kerouac. Kerouac is my least favorite beat writer, but maybe I should read more of him.

And Vonnegut is great. I was on a Vonnegut kick for... almost a year. Wow. But he's definitely one of my favorites.

If anyone on here likes Bret Easton Ellis, he has a new book coming out this month. It's a sequel to Less Than Zero, and if you like him and haven't read it, I highly suggest it. Even if you don't like him or never heard of him, I highly suggest it. One of my favorite books.

22What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:40 pm

hosebeast

hosebeast

does it make me lame if i wish he would have written something bringing the bateman brothers together more? patrick's only really mentioned once in rules of attraction and sean was in american psycho for a chapter or something, but it left a lot to be desired. i wanna know more about their childhood and their mother's illness. i doubt we'll ever see anything like that, but i'd really be into it.

i still haven't read less than zero, but from what i understand, it's about victor from rules of attraction. pat, would you recommend it?

are any of you guys into irvine welsch? i have a book of his called filth that i got in like 7th grade, and i'm thinking about reading it again. it's about this weirdo cop trying to make his annual trip to amsterdam, but he gets pre-occupied with a messy investigation. it's really good, so if you haven't read it i suggest picking it up.

23What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:47 pm

hosebeast

hosebeast

brummy wrote:I was afraid you'd think I was directing that towards you. It was actually directed towards a certain person that always feels the need to make fun of others for their tastes and opinions that differ from his.

oh shut the fuck up, you do the same thing all the time. stop talking to/about me.

24What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

Hoarse Pat wrote:I like Bukowski much more than Kerouac. Kerouac is my least favorite beat writer, but maybe I should read more of him.

And Vonnegut is great. I was on a Vonnegut kick for... almost a year. Wow. But he's definitely one of my favorites.

If anyone on here likes Bret Easton Ellis, he has a new book coming out this month. It's a sequel to Less Than Zero, and if you like him and haven't read it, I highly suggest it. Even if you don't like him or never heard of him, I highly suggest it. One of my favorite books.

I don't know who is my favorite or least favorite of the Beats, really. I like Kerouac a lot because he reminds me of people that I'm close to, but Ginsberg is an interesting man who did much more productive things with his life. If I had to choose, I could only narrow it down to those two, I think.

I just think that Bukowski is too predictable. That whole thing he did with writing, like, twenty short stories and poems every night in the hopes of a few coming out good is cool and all, but it seems more like a writing exercise than something you'd plan to publish. Like I said earlier, his stuff all kind of seems the same. Drunk dude rambling about life and embellishing it to seem like he's the cold-hearted badass that he wishes he were, rather than the sappy old drunk that he actually was. I like him, but he's just one of those guys that you can only read so much of...unless you count his poetry. It's solid.

25What book(s) are you reading? Empty Re: What book(s) are you reading? Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 pm

brummy

brummy

hosebeast wrote:

oh shut the fuck up, you do the same thing all the time. stop talking to/about me.

not really. it was only when i was hanging around you

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum