D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

currently reading?

+5
Hoarse Pat
DirtCity
brummy
chrislynch
damienthulhu
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1currently reading? Empty currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 am

damienthulhu

damienthulhu

I am currently reading a collection of all of poes works.
I have also started re reading some of the books of blood by clive barker.

http://www.myspace.com/damienbigfoot

2currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 am

chrislynch

The complete hitchiker's guide to the galaxy
And I just finished Half empty by david rakoff which was fantastic. Its a series of essays about the nature of negativity for the most part, and argues that negativity isn't necessarily worse than positivity and both are acceptable ways to deal with problems.

3currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:06 am

brummy

brummy

just started the original script of kerouac's on the road. this fucker is one entire paragraph, it kinda sucks.

4currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:46 am

DirtCity

DirtCity

chrislynch wrote:The complete hitchiker's guide to the galaxy

Favorite book ever.

I'm rereading Mick Foley's second book, Foley is Good.

5currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:57 am

Hoarse Pat

A The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy reference might be one of my first tattoos, if I ever get any. Been one of my favorite series since I was 11. I was reading them through again, but I took a break to read other authors after The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe.
I just finished Mother Night by Vonnegut, and I'm currently reading The White Tiger by Arivand Adiga and When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris. Both are pretty good so far.

6currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

currently reading? Have-a-nice-day

currently reading? 411acMt5RYL._SL500_AA300_

currently reading? Friday-night-lights_l1

currently reading? 41hIk33Nk-L

currently reading? I_am_america_and_so_can_you

got all these for christmas. i've only cracked the first two. have a nice day is cool but a pretty good read is really underwhelming and more of a lengthly review of their records than a biography. really disappointed in that.

7currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Hoarse Pat

Less Than Zero is his best book in my opinion. Imperial Bedrooms, the supposed sequel, reads too much like Glamorama and Lunar Park. And has a very, very haunting chapter. Not in a good way. I wish Ellis went back to writing things like Less Than Zero and Rules Of Attraction, although I very much did enjoy Glamorama.

8currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 pm

damienthulhu

damienthulhu

brummy wrote:just started the original script of kerouac's on the road. this fucker is one entire paragraph, it kinda sucks.

Do you feel like a paragraph change makes reading more interesting? I ask because i have this same problem, if I read something and a paragraph is really long I get discombobulated, so I could only imagine what just one long paragraph would do to me.

http://www.myspace.com/damienbigfoot

9currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 pm

chrislynch

i really love all of mick foley's books. super entertaining, and whoda thunk, he's actually a fantastic writer.

10currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 am

brummy

brummy

damienthulhu wrote:
brummy wrote:just started the original script of kerouac's on the road. this fucker is one entire paragraph, it kinda sucks.

Do you feel like a paragraph change makes reading more interesting? I ask because i have this same problem, if I read something and a paragraph is really long I get discombobulated, so I could only imagine what just one long paragraph would do to me.

having it be one paragraph doesnt make it any less interesting, just a lot more difficult to read. i actually got pretty used to it once i got a few pages in.

the worst part about the book is that it's not finished. at the very end it claims kerouac's friend's dog got a hold of the last few pages of the original transcript, so the publisher of this version included what he thought the last few pages might be based on the first released draft.

11currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:47 am

ijustwishi

ijustwishi

i am reading a collection tolstoy's short stories currently. well, reading it again.

12currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 am

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

currently reading? 6174_popup

https://facebook.com/theloniuspunk

13currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 am

brummy

brummy

d.Nihl wrote:currently reading? 6174_popup

oh man, how is that? there's a movie about this shit coming out supposedly in june called the last mountain. im glad more and more people are hearing about this now, shits gotten out of hand

14currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 am

ijustwishi

ijustwishi

also, rereading the wasteland by t.s. eliot.*

*read as, trying to make more sense of the wasteland by t.s. eliot.

15currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 am

Hoarse Pat

Eliot is great. Every couple of years I reread The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock. Every time I read it it means something different.

16currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

brummy wrote:

oh man, how is that? there's a movie about this shit coming out supposedly in june called the last mountain. im glad more and more people are hearing about this now, shits gotten out of hand

I'm liking it so far. It's a journalistic account of the Mountain Justice Summer stuff from a couple of years ago. The author's style makes it seem less like you're just absorbing facts, and it spends a lot of effort in giving various activists a connection with the reader. Also, the book does a good job of showing West Virginian's tendency to be weary of outsiders coming in, whether they're here to "help" or not.

I had been trying to find this book back in Huntington for a while, but never could. My first week living in New York, I found it in a bookstore near my apartment. Friends of mine out in Washington have been praising this book, as well. It's weird that a lot of West Virginian's I hang around with don't give a shit about this stuff, but people on the other side of the country do.

I'd like to find more things to read pertaining to coal mining, unionization, and mountain top removal. I'd definitely make a point to check out that movie, too!

https://facebook.com/theloniuspunk

17currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 am

brummy

brummy

d.Nihl wrote:
brummy wrote:

I'm liking it so far. It's a journalistic account of the Mountain Justice Summer stuff from a couple of years ago. The author's style makes it seem less like you're just absorbing facts, and it spends a lot of effort in giving various activists a connection with the reader. Also, the book does a good job of showing West Virginian's tendency to be weary of outsiders coming in, whether they're here to "help" or not.

I had been trying to find this book back in Huntington for a while, but never could. My first week living in New York, I found it in a bookstore near my apartment. Friends of mine out in Washington have been praising this book, as well. It's weird that a lot of West Virginian's I hang around with don't give a shit about this stuff, but people on the other side of the country do.

I'd like to find more things to read pertaining to coal mining, unionization, and mountain top removal. I'd definitely make a point to check out that movie, too!

that's surprising cause ive always thought we were the only ones who knew and/or cared about mtr. it's cool to see people all over the country talking about it, though, maybe something will actually get done.

coal river by michael shnayerson and the buffalo creek disaster by gerald stern are both pretty good books on the topic. theyre mostly about legal battles, especially the latter.

18currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 am

ijustwishi

ijustwishi

Hoarse Pat wrote:Eliot is great. Every couple of years I reread The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock. Every time I read it it means something different.

exactly, that's something i like about him a lot.

19currently reading? Empty Re: currently reading? Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:37 am

jarred

jarred

just finished this:
currently reading? Four-agreements

now working on this:
currently reading? Be_here_now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum