D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Top 5 Records Of 2009

+16
Zetterberger
hosebeast
shanholtzer
mmcxii
damienthulhu
Hoarse Pat
matt254543
Thunderbeard
GuyInAWilcoShirt
moshed brotatoes
jarred
DirtCity
costarika
Yoibomb
ijustwishi
jacobxw
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Yoibomb

Yoibomb

Alright, I'll finally do this. There's still a lot of stuff put out this year that I want to listen to, but just haven't. I don't even know if I'd say these five are my "favorites" of the year, but they're the first ones to come to mind. Here goes...

Horrid Cross - Demo I & II
I'm putting these together since the second one came out only months after the first one. I was hyped for this band before I even heard them since they had the guitarist of Divisions. I was expecting it to be some really disgusting Sarcofago-worship kind of stuff, which would've been fine with me, but when I finally heard it...oh shit. Feedback, stick clicks, and then immediately I got annihilated by the most insane thing I've heard all year. Insane distorted vocals, epic riffs, machine gun drums, it sounds like someone opened up a doorway to Hell. Absolutely PERFECT.

Divisions - Fin
One of my favorite recent bands' (who unfortunately have broken up) final release. The 7" was one of my favorite things of last year, so this tape was a surefire winner for this year. They took the black metal/hardcore fusion they already had and turned up the EVIL knob to 11. The sound is filthy, the vocals sound like they were recorded in a cave, and there's a Bathory cover at the end. Also, if you were one of the lucky ones to get this tape from them when they were on tour (where were you people at the Columbus show, huh?), your tape came with a fucking live bullet. AARRRGGGHHH

Daitro - Y
I just heard this album recently, but I think it was good enough to make it on this list. Daitro has always been one of the better bands in the whole Euro-screamo scene, so they would've really had to fuck up to make a "bad" album. They didn't, of course. This album actually strays away a little bit from the sound they had before. Poppier maybe? It's actually catchy as hell, and still just as "powerful" as the old stuff. I hate describing music.

Mammoth Grinder - Extinction Of Humanity
This can't be the same band that put out No Results or Rage & Ruin, it just can't be. They traded in their stoner riffs for Entombed shirts. Mammoth Grinder is officially a thrash/death metal band now. This album also has the best "OUGH" moments I've heard in a while. This album could be on this list just for those.

Cult Ritual - s/t LP
Oh of course, this is on here. The hype band of this past summer. There's a reason for that hype. This LP is magnificent. I don't really know how else to put it. I wouldn't say they're as "groundbreaking" as people were saying a few months ago, but this is definitely different than the straight up hardcore stuff they used to do. This album also has two of my favorite moments in MUSIC from this year. The songs "Failed" and "Saturday's Blood." When it suddenly goes into that pretty part in the middle of "Failed" and then that 3 minute drum beat that starts off "Saturday's Blood" that builds up into...ah you just need to hear it. When I heard that live it just blew me away.

I'm sure there are others that I absolutely loved this year, but I just can't remember them right now. I hate writing reviews.

http://www.myspace.com/enzuigiriman

77Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:09 am

ijustwishi

ijustwishi

everyone in this thread is wrong. if i wasn't in the band it's not worth listening to. music exists because i decided i want it to exist.

78Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 am

jacobxw

jacobxw

I forgot that Cult Ritual's LP came out this year, fuck. It was really good too. I've been jamming this GIVE 12" a lot when I'm home, and I think it's in my top 10 now, way to good.

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouserfromthewest1

79Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:39 am

jacobxw

jacobxw

Also, Make Do And Mend-Bodies Of Water EP came out this year, it's so good. FFO: Hot Water Music.

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouserfromthewest1

80Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:18 am

Yoibomb

Yoibomb

Honorable mentions go to Magrudergrind for making an album so good it makes their earlier stuff nearly unlistenable and Morpheme for one of my favorite "OUGH" moments of the year (crucial reverb!).

http://www.myspace.com/enzuigiriman

81Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Zetterberger

Zetterberger

bishop allen - "grr..."

82Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:14 am

ACSlaterBeatMeUp

ACSlaterBeatMeUp

In no particular order...

Weird Al - Internet Leaks EP
Andrew WK - 55 Cadillac
Creed - Full Circle
Juno Soundtrack
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

83Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:33 am

chrislynch

MF DOOM - Born Like This
Jeffrey Lewis - Em Are I
Girls - Album
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

can't really think of any more right now from this year

84Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:45 am

shanholtzer

shanholtzer

David F Bello - KFC & Someone Else's Headcold is my favorite album have come out this year. You should become just as attached as i am right now. here is a download link:

http://www.davidfbello.com/albums/David%20F%20Bello%20-%20KFC%20&%20Someone%20Else's%20Headcold.zip

http://www.derrickshanholtzer.com

85Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:47 pm

chrislynch

shanholtzer wrote:David F Bello - KFC & Someone Else's Headcold is my favorite album have come out this year. You should become just as attached as i am right now. here is a download link:

http://www.davidfbello.com/albums/David%20F%20Bello%20-%20KFC%20&%20Someone%20Else's%20Headcold.zip

will download when i get home.

86Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:48 am

Thunderbeard

Thunderbeard

ACSlaterBeatMeUp wrote:In no particular order...

Weird Al - Internet Leaks EP
Andrew WK - 55 Cadillac
Creed - Full Circle
Juno Soundtrack
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Don't you mean Halo?

https://www.facebook.com/thebuzzing

87Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:52 pm

don222ald

I'm late. It's late. I can't sleep. I'm bored..

5. The Sidekicks - Weight of Air
This record is fucking great from start to finish. A big step up from their first CD (and even the Sam-EP). Good stuff.

4. House Boat - The Delaware Octopus
1 part Ergs, 2 parts Steinways, and 1 part Dear Landlord. What else could you possibly want?

3. Dear Landlord - Dream Homes
This record still gets me excited when I put it on. Seeing them over the summer just reinforced how great these songs are.

2. The Lawrence Arms - Buttsweat and Tears EP
The Lawrence Arms are my favorite band. Every song on this EP is great. I have listened to this thing way too many times.

1. Dead To Me - African Elephants
I hated every single thing about this album the first few times I listened to it. I was so disappointed. I guess it only fits that it's my favorite thing released this year.

The album I listened to more than anything else this year actually came out a few years ago. I never really thought it was anything special. One day during this summer though I put it on and as dumb as it sounds it moved me more than anything else that I can think of. The Loved Ones - Keep Your Heart (and the follow up Build & Burn is nearly just as great).

88Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 pm

don222ald

chrislynch wrote:MF DOOM - Born Like This
Jeffrey Lewis - Em Are I

Slogans is such a great song.

89Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

chrislynch

don222ald wrote:
chrislynch wrote:MF DOOM - Born Like This
Jeffrey Lewis - Em Are I

Slogans is such a great song.

definitely. upside down cross is probably my favorite song of the year.

90Top 5 Records Of 2009 - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 Records Of 2009 Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 pm

dingbat

dingbat

1. Hell or High Water - As Cities Burn
Tooth and Nail Records

Seriously the best Indie/Alt Album ever released. Big change from the last album, but change for the better. Seriously bummed that they never toured this album.

2. Defeater - Lost Travels
Bridge 9 Records

It took seeing Defeater twice and being forced to listen to them to finally give them a chance. This record is mind blowing. Best hardcore release of '09. Restoring my faith in B9

3. Thrice - Beggars
Vagrant Records

Thirce gets better and better with every album. I've never been disappointed in one of their albums, and this one is definitley not an exception. Make 100% sure to buy the album to get the bonus tracks download code. They cover Helter Skelter better than the Beatles ever played it.

4. All Teeth - I Am Losing
High Fidelity Records

The perfect hardcore record. Blasting fast, fucking heavy, melody. It's one of the only albums with dual vocals that I've ever gotten into. It doesn't get much better than this. They are touring with Defeater for the next couple months on the west coast and I'm pretty sure I'd kill someone to go to one of those shows.

5. Last Lights - No Past, No Present, No Future
Think Fast! Records

The best hardcore band you never would have heard about if Dom hadn't died. This is the full discography of the band, from beginning to end. Dom was easily the best lyricist in hardcore, and I really would have liked to have seen a book written by him. If you don't have this record yet, you have to pick it up.

http://www.myspace.com/heartholdstrue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum