D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DEC 18: WEEZER "PINKERTON" NIGHT @ ROSELAND BALLROOM, NYC

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

costarika

costarika

Still pinching myself because I can't believed this just happened. I didn't get tickets to this but one of my best friends is editorial assistant at Billboard magazine, and she passed down a +1 for this night knowing that I love this album to death.

We took the train from Brooklyn later in the night to skip out on the opener, Free Energy. Jill went the first night, in which they also opened, and said they were boring beyond words so we timed to arrive right before Weezer went on.

Bad move, the place was PACKED - but that's no surprise. Initially, we had a shit view during the first half of their set, in which Weezer played a medley of random hits from their almost 2 decades old catalog. Rivers was a front man for the first half with a cordless mic, gallivanting around the enormous concert hall. ARolling Stone review noted on the first night that Rivers had more energy than Bono on stage, and that was the fact for this night as well. No wonder he took on the role as hypeman for Crookers DJ set at Hardfest LA! Pleasantly surprised with the random setlist, which went as followed (off the top of my head):

Memories (ngl, like this song)
Some song off the green album
Dope Nose
Hash Pipe
Susanne (HOOOLY SHIT.)
Jamie (Again, HOOOLY SHIT.)
Makebelieve
Only in Dreams
(one more that I forgot)

Then there was an intermission. Their tour dude presented a photo slideshow before the night resumed with "Pinkerton," which included some hilarious shots of old-ass Weezer flyers, tour photos, press clips which included a '90s Rolling Stone clip of "Pinkerton" being the 2nd worst album of the year (behind Bush), and some fan club photos.

Rivers stripped off the cardigan and frames and transformed into 1996 Rivers, even playing guitar throughout the whole set. Eerie because, as Jill pointed out, he was a completely different person from the first set. Crowd went wild with "Tired of Sex," "Pink Triangle," "The Good Life," and of course "El Scorcho." Seeing "Butterfly" performed live sent chills down my spine, because until tonight it wasn't a track I imagined performed live. Rivers was in all white when they closed the night with this song, band escapes and it's just him, his guitar, and the album backdrop. Jill and I were in near tears.

The night went by super fast and we got out of there after 11pm. Escaped midtown and the eyesore that is Time Square, then went to her editor's holiday party in Williamsburg.

+'s ----
overall fantastic set
B-sides surprises. "Susanne" and "Jamie" - seriously UN-REAL.
Seeing all tracks performed live
Wasn't suffocating in the crowd
Saw Humberto, the head honcho at my internship company, Opening Ceremony, at the VIP bench with Spike Jonze and Hurley, among other celebrities.
Seeing it all for free.

-'s ---
Didn't have the best view, though we managed to get much closer during intermission
Pet peeve: people trying to reclaim their spots up front after getting their friends a round of beer. Concert etiquette stresses that when you get out of your spot, you lose it.
Lost my one-mile H&M scarf in the crowd

Some (shit) pictures:

DEC 18: WEEZER "PINKERTON" NIGHT @ ROSELAND BALLROOM, NYC  57999_1556167310850_1435230178_31315254_6967674_n

DEC 18: WEEZER "PINKERTON" NIGHT @ ROSELAND BALLROOM, NYC  166241_1556167390852_1435230178_31315255_7480006_n

http://blank-collage.blogspot.com

costarika

costarika

Add to the set list: I forgot, they played "You Gave Me Your Love to Me Softly." (Thanks Adam T., for being a psychic.)

http://blank-collage.blogspot.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum