D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Topic: What's keeps you in the "scene"?

+12
Thunderbeard
don222ald
costarika
GuyInAWilcoShirt
Yoibomb
matt254543
mmcxii
moshed brotatoes
shanholtzer
hosebeast
DirtCity
jacobxw
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

jacobxw

jacobxw

What makes you want to keep going to shows, play in bands, putting out bands on your label, or whatever it may be. What keeps you here?

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouserfromthewest1

DirtCity

DirtCity

The money.

jacobxw

jacobxw

DirtCity wrote:The money.
please be serious! New Topic: What's keeps you in the "scene"? Icon_biggrin

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouserfromthewest1

hosebeast

hosebeast

DirtCity wrote:The money.

this is serious. probably the best motivator.

hosebeast

hosebeast

no haha

i like the commorodery and the closeness you can experience with people who are into the same shit and who hold something as sacred as you do... it's a really good feeling. i like the (now seemingly not that often) feeling i get when i see a band that rules that i've never seen or heard before. in clarksburg it's pretty terrible and like, straight weird. matt, eric, jack, adam, and countless others can attest to this. i've said this before, but it doesn't seem REAL in a lot of ways. it's almost indescribable how things are from my perspective, and i feel like an asshole saying this, but things have just changed so much from when i first like, really got into music. however, i'm still around, still caring about punk rock in some form or another.

i like what you freakerz are doing in parkersburg at the belly. i've tried to get like 4 things set up, but nobody ever really seems into it(just haven't heard of parkersburg, not what you guys are doing). maybe i've lost my touch? i'm pretty much looking to you guys for keeping something cool going on in a day and age where our lifestyles and views are on display at shopping malls. so weird. kudos!

i like enzuigiri.
i like jacob.

shanholtzer

shanholtzer

hosebeast wrote:no haha

i like the commorodery and the closeness you can experience with people who are into the same shit and who hold something as sacred as you do... it's a really good feeling. i like the (now seemingly not that often) feeling i get when i see a band that rules that i've never seen or heard before. in clarksburg it's pretty terrible and like, straight weird. matt, eric, jack, adam, and countless others can attest to this. i've said this before, but it doesn't seem REAL in a lot of ways. it's almost indescribable how things are from my perspective, and i feel like an asshole saying this, but things have just changed so much from when i first like, really got into music. however, i'm still around, still caring about punk rock in some form or another.

i like what you freakerz are doing in parkersburg at the belly. i've tried to get like 4 things set up, but nobody ever really seems into it(just haven't heard of parkersburg, not what you guys are doing). maybe i've lost my touch? i'm pretty much looking to you guys for keeping something cool going on in a day and age where our lifestyles and views are on display at shopping malls. so weird. kudos!

i like enzuigiri.
i like jacob.

liar

http://www.derrickshanholtzer.com

moshed brotatoes

moshed brotatoes

I go for one reason and one reason only.

The mosh.

https://facebook.com/moshing

shanholtzer

shanholtzer

who dat alex wrote:I go for one reason and one reason only.

The mosh.

preach it brother

moshed brotatoes

moshed brotatoes

BUT SRSLY

Going to shows is one of the few things I actually really like to do. School is stressful. I don't party. I'm awkward with girls. So I go to shows and mosh and sing along and have fun. Honestly, nothing is more fun to me than going to a really really good hardcore show, regardless of whether there is scene bullshit/drama going on there. No matter what, if there are good bands playing, it's a good time for me.

https://facebook.com/moshing

mmcxii

mmcxii

Because like playing music, but I don't want to play with The Torture Store every Saturday night at Coyote Gone Wild.

matt254543

mmcxii wrote:Because like playing music, but I don't want to play with The Torture Store every Saturday night at Coyote Gone Wild.

I kept hearing ads for that place on the radio at work. I think you guys should play there every night. Plus I think its beside sugar's so, afterparties at sugar's woooo. or you should just play shows at sugar's.

Yoibomb

Yoibomb

Because I enjoy this kind of music more than most things, I've met lots of cool (and plenty of shitty) people through it, blah blah, I hate typing this stuff out. Basically, UP THA PUNX!

http://www.myspace.com/enzuigiriman

GuyInAWilcoShirt

GuyInAWilcoShirt

I like playing music

http://www.myspace.com/enzuigiriman

costarika

costarika

Yoibomb wrote:Because I enjoy this kind of music more than most things, I've met lots of cool (and plenty of shitty) people through it, blah blah, I hate typing this stuff out. Basically, UP THA PUNX!

You also found a girlfriend through it.

All of the closest friends I have were found through music - being part of a college radio station, going to shows that I know are good through the booker or word of mouth, writing articles, booking shows (heh, back in '06), and having a Myspace that happened to list the type of music I did (no joke).

Going to shows has just been embedded in my mind as my ideal way to enjoy my leisure time. There's just something exhilarating about local shows: the intimacy, the crowd's reaction, discovering a great, new band, how that $5 heavily contributed to funding the show/bands, etc. I drink but most weekends I'll end up having mixed feelings towards partying and ironically, I feel a lot more safe at shows than I do at a party. Plus, I don't think I'll ever get sick of the music.

http://blank-collage.blogspot.com

don222ald

i don't really care about a "scene" or whatever, i just want to be where something like this happens frequently..

'cause it's a great feeling

and in the immortal words of garth algar "i like to play"

shanholtzer

shanholtzer

don222ald wrote:i don't really care about a "scene" or whatever, i just want to be where something like this happens frequently..

'cause it's a great feeling

and in the immortal words of garth algar "i like to play"

when are you moving into my house?

don222ald

asap. i'll pack my shit tonight

Thunderbeard

Thunderbeard

I like playing music. I was blessed with the ability to play it, and not to brag, but I'm pretty decent at it. I've put close to 10 years in my guitar playing now. Some of my best friends have come from playing music.

Also, pussy.

https://www.facebook.com/thebuzzing

jarred

jarred

don222ald wrote:asap. i'll pack my shit tonight

come hang out before you leave.

DirtCity

DirtCity

For a serious answer... I love music. Music embodies everything I do. I love playing music. I love listening to music.

As for the punk scene, I don't like much hardcore (although I greatly enjoy some of it), but I love being at shows. I like the energy, I like the real people that I meet. I hate all the super politically correct ass kissing that happens, but there actually isn't much of that in Parkersburg. What I do believe in, though, are punk rock ethics. I don't get the rock star deal. I don't believe a band should get door money in their own hometown when there are touring bands.

My first 'local punk rock show' I went to, my band played at. Now we were terrible, but I broke into the scene by playing music. For a long time the shows were getting pretty stupid. Kids coming out and not even watching the bands, going outside to smoke and take myspace pictures. I continued going to shows in hopes they'd get back to how they were when I first started going. Kids used to pack in to Kelli's and everyone would watch.

I'm happier now with the way shows are than I was for a few years. We don't get many kids, but everyone goes and actually watches and has a good time. Now if we could just get more people in, it'd be pretty sweet.

matt254543

I can't say i'm part of the scene. I do enjoy music, though. Even though i'm not into hardcore really, I do enjoy playing that style of music. I like to watch my friends' bands play. I'm not the kind of person that is going to mosh, sing along, dance, or really show any outward expression of enjoyment hahaha, but i really have a good time at shows.

damienthulhu

damienthulhu

im going to be honest here i was done with everything i was just fed up with alot of the ego and tough guy stomp on your head attitude alot of metal, hardcore, and punk fans have and i was getting really sick of all the local bands i booked and played with day in and day out thinking they were as big as mettalica and comlaining if they didnt headline a show it really started to seem like every band and every fan of music was just in it so they could carry a really arrogant better than everyone attitude and get away with it in the name of music but lately more so since the defeater show in p-burg ive seen theres actually still some genuine people out there who are into music because it is music and its something that they enjoy and its been really refreshing to me i just sort of realized the local area im in is filled with these carbon copy tough guy trend following morons and im sure there are other places but its been really refreshing to see not everyones like that honestly i was about done with going to shows and playing in bands but just meeting some of the really genuine people ive met in the past few months made me realize that there is a shred of hope and yeah all the trend followers will probably be into pimping out their hondas and shooting deers in no time and ill never have to deal with them again

http://www.myspace.com/damienbigfoot

DirtCity

DirtCity

damienthulhu wrote:im going to be honest here i was done with everything i was just fed up with alot of the ego and tough guy stomp on your head attitude alot of metal, hardcore, and punk fans have and i was getting really sick of all the local bands i booked and played with day in and day out thinking they were as big as mettalica and comlaining if they didnt headline a show it really started to seem like every band and every fan of music was just in it so they could carry a really arrogant better than everyone attitude and get away with it in the name of music but lately more so since the defeater show in p-burg ive seen theres actually still some genuine people out there who are into music because it is music and its something that they enjoy and its been really refreshing to me i just sort of realized the local area im in is filled with these carbon copy tough guy trend following morons and im sure there are other places but its been really refreshing to see not everyones like that honestly i was about done with going to shows and playing in bands but just meeting some of the really genuine people ive met in the past few months made me realize that there is a shred of hope and yeah all the trend followers will probably be into pimping out their hondas and shooting deers in no time and ill never have to deal with them again

You really need to use punctuation. Or at least line breaks. That's incredibly difficult to read.

But I agree!

damienthulhu

damienthulhu

DirtCity wrote:
damienthulhu wrote:im going to be honest here i was done with everything i was just fed up with alot of the ego and tough guy stomp on your head attitude alot of metal, hardcore, and punk fans have and i was getting really sick of all the local bands i booked and played with day in and day out thinking they were as big as mettalica and comlaining if they didnt headline a show it really started to seem like every band and every fan of music was just in it so they could carry a really arrogant better than everyone attitude and get away with it in the name of music but lately more so since the defeater show in p-burg ive seen theres actually still some genuine people out there who are into music because it is music and its something that they enjoy and its been really refreshing to me i just sort of realized the local area im in is filled with these carbon copy tough guy trend following morons and im sure there are other places but its been really refreshing to see not everyones like that honestly i was about done with going to shows and playing in bands but just meeting some of the really genuine people ive met in the past few months made me realize that there is a shred of hope and yeah all the trend followers will probably be into pimping out their hondas and shooting deers in no time and ill never have to deal with them again

You really need to use punctuation. Or at least line breaks. That's incredibly difficult to read.

But I agree!

ive flirted with the level of laziness of no spaces

http://www.myspace.com/damienbigfoot

butt_coffin

butt_coffin

i go to shows because it looks good on job applications.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum