D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ATTN: HAVERCHUK - PLZ TELL ME WHY(IF) YOU LOVE HUNTINGTON

+2
jacobxw
hosebeast
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

hosebeast

hosebeast

so this is the last semester that i can take classes at the fairmont state satellite campus at which i currently take classes in clarksburg. this fall, i have to take all of my classes AT fairmont if i want to stay in school, but i really, really don't wanna do that. i hate this area; there is literally nothing to do unless you dig going to the mall. seriously. it fucking sucks.

SO, i'm completely over ever even being in morgantown, and WVU is just too big of a school for what i want to do. i thought about west liberty maybe - i could live close to where i grew up, wheeling is probably west virginia's best attempt at a city so there has to be something going on on a regular basis, right? they have decarlo's too, which we all know is the best pizza place in the universe. wheeling does kind of suck though and i never hear of anything that doesn't suck happening there.

i had plans to try huntington out a few years ago, but ended up re-entering a hilariously terrible relationship and didn't do it. now, though, i HAVE TO actually stop being a shithead and move out on my own somewhere, so i figure if i absolutely have to stay in state, marshall and huntington would be my best option. i have a couple life long frinds down there, plus a bunch of dudes who will become life long friends in no time i'm sure. i'll probably be able to fulfill my life-long dream of being in a band full time. i'll actually be able to "experience college." this all probably sounds vague, but i'm pretty excited about the possibility of moving down there. i've made plans to move away several times, and always found reasons not to go, but now i actually have to do it.

ANYONE that's lived in huntington - tell me about LIVING there. i love it every time i visit.

jacobxw

jacobxw

I'm going to Marshall in the fall and I'm really excited to move to Huntington.

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouserfromthewest1

Haverchuck

Haverchuck

Huntington is like any other town in WV, it is what you make it. I've had friends that love it here and are stoked on this area and I have had friends who hate it here and move away to Cincy, Louisville, or whatever city. Bars are fun here, but you just have to be careful not to get into the routine of going out 3 or 4 times a week because you'll not only end up an alcoholic but a broke one as well. There are some pretty cool music shops around here like Rt 60 Music, Mack and Daves and Fret n' Fiddle in St Albans. You can find apartments and houses for good prices.
I like it here, and there is stuff to do. The music scene is ok but there really isn't too much of an all ages thing going on, or at least that I'm involved with. Although, I have heard rumors of a new HYAMP getting reformed. Like I said though, those are just rumours.

There are some bad things about Huntington as well, ie cops here do what ever the fuck they want on or off duty. Crime is sort of a problem, just look at the Western Regional Jail website, they have like 20 new inmates a day. The streets are either shitty brick or riddled with potholes. And the mayor is just a figure head for the rich conservative blue bloods.

It's a little bit of good and bad, hope that helps man.

http://www.myspace.com/downgoesfrazier

hosebeast

hosebeast

jacob and i will begin docking this fall semester,

thanks HVC.

hosebeast

hosebeast

double pizza

Last edited by hosebeast on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

I don't feel like Huntington is a good place to "experience college," but then again, I grew up trying my best to avoid experiencing anything related to the college. It's more of a commuter school than WVU is, though it probably seems more legit, or whatever, than from where you're coming.

HYAMP is reopening, so you'll have that. The first show is March 12th.

Before I started traveling a lot, I used to go to the Critical Mass rides on the third Friday of every month. It's an easy bike ride, something to do, and you don't have to worry about getting run over as much as you normally have to worry.

I think some kids were organizing movie nights, scavenger hunts, and different fun social gatherings like that last summer, but I don't know much about it as I wasn't around.

As for what Haverchuk said about the police: my advice would be to not talk to them, ever.

I'll be back in town in a couple of months, and I don't really ever have anything to do. I'll hang out with you.

https://facebook.com/theloniuspunk

hosebeast

hosebeast

who are you? haha

i didn't mean for that inital post to sound as cheesy as it did. i just meant that i'll for the first time live in a town where there are a lot of young people and parties etc. none of this is for sure, but it's something that as of right now, i have the most interest in doing as far as moving goes. i went to hyamp a few times and didn't dig it at all, save for the "last" food show that happened there. i'm not real super involved in all ages stuff anymore anyway, if that even makes sense. i don't have anything against all ages venues, and actually think that they're a great thing for any community to have, but it's definitely not a priority of mine that they be happening all around me constantly. i have some friends who i guess just got a big house, with no neighbor issues or anything. enzuigiri played there and from what i've been told, it went over real well so they'll be doing it a lot from now on.

i dunno. in the next couple months i'm going to try and spend as much time down there as possible and really see if it's the type of place where i want to live for the next few years.

Haverchuck

Haverchuck

d.Nihl wrote:As for what Haverchuk said about the police: my advice would be to not talk to them, ever.

Best defense, no be there.

Thelonius Punk

Thelonius Punk

hosebeast wrote:who are you? haha

i didn't mean for that inital post to sound as cheesy as it did. i just meant that i'll for the first time live in a town where there are a lot of young people and parties etc. none of this is for sure, but it's something that as of right now, i have the most interest in doing as far as moving goes. i went to hyamp a few times and didn't dig it at all, save for the "last" food show that happened there. i'm not real super involved in all ages stuff anymore anyway, if that even makes sense. i don't have anything against all ages venues, and actually think that they're a great thing for any community to have, but it's definitely not a priority of mine that they be happening all around me constantly. i have some friends who i guess just got a big house, with no neighbor issues or anything. enzuigiri played there and from what i've been told, it went over real well so they'll be doing it a lot from now on.

i dunno. in the next couple months i'm going to try and spend as much time down there as possible and really see if it's the type of place where i want to live for the next few years.

I'm Dylan. Unless I'm mistaken, we've never met. I'm pretty sure that I have no idea who you are, either. ha

I just figured that I'd throw in what input I can to help you out with the whole coming to Huntington thing. People there can be pretty unwelcoming at times, and there's no reason for it. Hope you enjoy it down there.

https://facebook.com/theloniuspunk

hosebeast

hosebeast

thanks man, i really appreciate that. i've been dicking on craigslist lately looking at apartments and stuff, and they're already leasing for fall semester. if i actually go and do this, i hope i can get a fucking place that's not in barboursville.

Zetterberger

Zetterberger

[quote="hosebeast"]

they have decarlo's too, which we all know is the best pizza place in the universe.

you're kidding, right? I had it once when I came up for a show. When they brought it out to us, it was almost as though they made a giant piece of toast, slopped the cheapest, most tasteless tomato sauce on it, and sprinkled some cheese on top. I felt like they didn't even bother cooking it considering the cheese wasn't melted. Maybe that's their approach at it, but it didn't please me one bit.

As for living in Huntington, I honestly can say that I made some stupid choices, I dated a complete moron who treated me like shit and wouldn't let me do anything. I won't mention names, but I think the majority of you know who I'm speaking of. I feel as though if I lived there under different circumstances, I would've enjoyed it a ton more. There were a good bit of perks living there, their Taco Bell is open 24/7, there's a good bit of job opportunities, and there's a decent music scene. If you drink there are a good bit of bars to chose from as well.

Haverchuck

Haverchuck

As far as local restaruants go here's the skinny:

Danielo's - best fucking sandwiches in town, and good pizza too.

Hill Billy Hot Dogs - Taco Dog, Steak Dog, Pizza Dog, Home Wreckers, Single Wides, need I say more?

Jewel City Seafood - Good locally owned seafood place. Shit is fresh, tastes like the beach.

D.P. Dough - Always there in a pinch.

Five Guys - good burgers.

Taste of Asia & Hitbachi - these are the two more expensive places, but they are worth it for good asian food. There are a ton of chinese buffets around here as well, they're all pretty much the same. We also just got a new Thai place down at Pullman Square as well.

Nawab - great indian food.

hosebeast

hosebeast

[quote="Zetterberger"]
hosebeast wrote:

they have dicarlo's too, which we all know is the best pizza place in the universe.

you're kidding, right? I had it once when I came up for a show. When they brought it out to us, it was almost as though they made a giant piece of toast, slopped the cheapest, most tasteless tomato sauce on it, and sprinkled some cheese on top. I felt like they didn't even bother cooking it considering the cheese wasn't melted. Maybe that's their approach at it, but it didn't please me one bit.

and this is why dicarlo's has never been able to stay open for more than like 3 months in parkersburg. you can ask them to melt the cheese, but traditionally, no, it comes unmelted. to me, they're a super unique brand and something that i'll cherish for as long as i live. i disagree about the quality of ingredients, because they consistantly win awards in whatever contests they travel to, not to mention the fact that it's fucking delecious. come on jerbear, it's not like i'm saying popa john's is my favorite all time pizza place. you just said that a perk of living in a city was that their taco bell was open 24/7.

hosebeast

hosebeast

Haverchuck wrote:As far as local restaruants go here's the skinny:

Hill Billy Hot Dogs - Taco Dog, Steak Dog, Pizza Dog, Home Wreckers, Single Wides, need I say more?

Jewel City Seafood - Good locally owned seafood place. Shit is fresh, tastes like the beach.

Taste of Asia & Hitbachi - these are the two more expensive places, but they are worth it for good asian food. There are a ton of chinese buffets around here as well, they're all pretty much the same. We also just got a new Thai place down at Pullman Square as well.

i've eaten at all those places but jewel city and newbab. pretty much every friend i have that's ever lived in huntington has worked/works at hibachi too. you ever grip some fat patty's? that 2 for 1 burger deal they do on certain days is tits.

Haverchuck

Haverchuck

hosebeast wrote:
Haverchuck wrote:As far as local restaruants go here's the skinny:

i've eaten at all those places but jewel city and newbab. pretty much every friend i have that's ever lived in huntington has worked/works at hibachi too. you ever grip some fat patty's? that 2 for 1 burger deal they do on certain days is tits.

Fat Patty's is pretty fuckin good, I thought about it but forgot to put it in there. The girl and I like to hit that place up every once in a while. The only burger I wouldn't recomend from there is the Vampire Killer, other than that all of there other burgers are stellar.

hosebeast

hosebeast

that was the first one i ever got from there haha. every person i've ever met in my entire life always goes nuts over the amount of garlic i use in things, and i just don't get it. it smells strong, but the taste of garlic its self is only brought out when used in large amounts, for my palette at least. the lady and i are talking about this increasingly more and more, so hopefully it becomes reality.

we've been looking on craigslist and a lot of places are already renting for fall semester, which kind of scares me. do you think that i'll have a hard tiem finding a place in a decent location? i can't see us making a solid decision on this until at the very soonest like, may. i don't wanna fuck this up if it comes to fruition. what would you suggest i do? you think i'll be ok with that time span or what?

Haverchuck

Haverchuck

There are always places to rent at all times of the year, especially summer and spring. So I don't see you really having any problems finding a place, just leave yourself at least a month's time and you should be good.

I know I'll probably be moving in the summer/early fall because I have some issues with my landlord though.

Zetterberger

Zetterberger

Taco Bell being open 24/7 is a great perk. I have no problem with having a different opinion on pizza preferences, but to say it's the best in the universe is absurd!

Perhaps I've just not been out and about as much as you have, but when I order a pizza I expect my cheese to be melted.

I would have to say the pizza that I had in Dayton, OH while staying with The Boobs was the best pizza I've ever had. I can't remember what it was called, perhaps Dwayne or Cody remember? Guys?

hosebeast

hosebeast

i think it's unique i dunno

did you move to huntington for any reason jeremy, or just to hang out?

dingbat

dingbat

Zetterberger wrote:Taco Bell being open 24/7 is a great perk. I have no problem with having a different opinion on pizza preferences, but to say it's the best in the universe is absurd!

Perhaps I've just not been out and about as much as you have, but when I order a pizza I expect my cheese to be melted.

I would have to say the pizza that I had in Dayton, OH while staying with The Boobs was the best pizza I've ever had. I can't remember what it was called, perhaps Dwayne or Cody remember? Guys?

Cousin Vinny's Pizza. Winner.

http://www.myspace.com/heartholdstrue

hosebeast

hosebeast

is that a real place? definitely wins for best name,

Zetterberger

Zetterberger

hosebeast wrote:i think it's unique i dunno

To be with a girl, really stupid idea. I would like to not talk about it lol

dingbat

dingbat

Zetterberger wrote:

and so you could live with me and I could get drunk and run through the walls.

Zetterberger

Zetterberger

Dingbat wrote:
Zetterberger wrote:

Ohhh yes, how could I forget about that? lol MAAAAN she was pissed, that always got thrown in my face when we fought, bahahah

dingbat

dingbat

Zetterberger wrote:
Dingbat wrote:
Zetterberger wrote:

Ohhh yes, how could I forget about that? lol MAAAAN she was pissed, that always got thrown in my face when we fought, bahahah

Fuck her, I fixed it while hungover. I don't know if any of you have done drywall work while hungover. If you haven't you don't understand how much of a feat this really was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum