D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D.I.Y WEST VIRGINIA

Information about music, shows, and general discussion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

wudda you wanna be when u grow up?

+7
Thunderbeard
dingbat
Hoarse Pat
Yoibomb
jacobxw
DirtCity
hosebeast
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

what's everybody doing with their lives? i finally made a legitimate push towards pursuing my dream of becoming a football coach by changing my major to education with an emphasis on biology. after a few years of wanting to become an attorney, the rat race/fact that big law is disappearing/high failure rate coupled with the fact that i rarely apply myself in school and law school costs about 2 years salary for any middle class family, i decided against it. football is the only thing, other than music, that i'm actively involved with from a day to day basis, and really the only thing that i'm passionate about. if all goes as planned, i'll be certified by the WVSSAC in early december and coaching at some high school by this time next fall.

it's strange how what seemed like yesterday, the majority of us were in high school, completely lacking any real responsibility or stress. now, i don't think anybody on here is below the age of 21. so, career-wise, what are all of you going to be doing in the not too distant future?

2wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 am

DirtCity

DirtCity

I'm a substitute teacher. It doesn't pay all that much, and I don't always get to work, but I like the kids for the most part, and it gives me all the time I need to play shows and the like.

3wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:51 am

jacobxw

jacobxw

I'm FINALLY going to college for the first time this fall. Pretty excited, still not real sure what I want to go for but I do know I HAVE to go.

http://www.myspace.com/modestmouserfromthewest1

4wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:55 am

Yoibomb

Yoibomb

AN ASTRONAUT

If that doesn't work, then definitely a fireman or a police officer.

http://www.myspace.com/enzuigiriman

5wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:01 am

Hoarse Pat

I'm doing creative writing at OU, moving there this summer and starting in the fall, then graduate school for film.

6wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

DirtCity wrote:I'm a substitute teacher. It doesn't pay all that much, and I don't always get to work, but I like the kids for the most part, and it gives me all the time I need to play shows and the like.

what degree do you have? i assume you're in the substitute system waiting for a full time position to open up, right? our substitutes here liked it a lot because they could work anywhere in the county, any given day, and make like $200 bucks for a day of sitting with kids.

7wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:28 am

dingbat

dingbat

I'm about to start a job working for ARSCORP. They're a contractor through all the major railroad systems. Basically I'll be doing the work deemed "Too Hazardous" for the railroad employees to do.

http://www.myspace.com/heartholdstrue

8wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 am

Thunderbeard

Thunderbeard

I did two years at WVUP and realized I hated it. Started the first year with the networking/routing and was way over my head. Second year was just me floating around. I'm hopefully going to Washington State next year. I don't know what I wanna do with my life, I've always been interested in forensics, but I pretty much refuse to go away to school and I guess the criminal justice program at WVUP is bull garbage. Retail lifer ftw.

https://www.facebook.com/thebuzzing

9wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 am

DirtCity

DirtCity

hosebeast wrote:
DirtCity wrote:I'm a substitute teacher. It doesn't pay all that much, and I don't always get to work, but I like the kids for the most part, and it gives me all the time I need to play shows and the like.

what degree do you have? i assume you're in the substitute system waiting for a full time position to open up, right? our substitutes here liked it a lot because they could work anywhere in the county, any given day, and make like $200 bucks for a day of sitting with kids.

I have my degree in English, with a focus on Literature. So I can't be a full time teacher unless I go back to school and go through an education program, including student teaching. I may do that at some point just to have it.

I'm still hoping to be able to something musically for a living. It's a long shot, but if I could teach drum lessons or work as a studio musician somewhere I'd love it. Basically, I'd like to tour with a band for a while, and if that means working shitty jobs repeatedly, so be it. Eventually I'll get a job somewhere as a technical writer or something like that when my music career fails.

10wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 pm

hosebeast

hosebeast

DirtCity wrote:
hosebeast wrote:

I have my degree in English, with a focus on Literature. So I can't be a full time teacher unless I go back to school and go through an education program, including student teaching. I may do that at some point just to have it.

I'm still hoping to be able to something musically for a living. It's a long shot, but if I could teach drum lessons or work as a studio musician somewhere I'd love it. Basically, I'd like to tour with a band for a while, and if that means working shitty jobs repeatedly, so be it. Eventually I'll get a job somewhere as a technical writer or something like that when my music career fails.

where did you go to school? i thought you went to wvup, didn't know you could get a BA there.

i'm a little confused as to what it takes to actually become a full time teacher. like, is a masters necessary, or do you just have to go like an extra semester to get education certification?

11wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Hoarse Pat

hosebeast wrote:
DirtCity wrote:
hosebeast wrote:

where did you go to school? i thought you went to wvup, didn't know you could get a BA there.

i'm a little confused as to what it takes to actually become a full time teacher. like, is a masters necessary, or do you just have to go like an extra semester to get education certification?

As I understand it, and maybe this is just in Ohio, but after a certain number of years teaching, you have to get your masters, and most public schools won't hire if you already have it. Private schools won't hire if you don't have your masters. To become a full time teacher, you just need your BA to begin with. But you have to do two pracitcum/seminars, and then student teaching before your BA.

12wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Yoibomb

Yoibomb

You can get four year degrees at WVUP.

http://www.myspace.com/enzuigiriman

13wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 pm

brummy

brummy

Hoarse Pat wrote:
hosebeast wrote:
DirtCity wrote:
hosebeast wrote:

As I understand it, and maybe this is just in Ohio, but after a certain number of years teaching, you have to get your masters, and most public schools won't hire if you already have it. Private schools won't hire if you don't have your masters. To become a full time teacher, you just need your BA to begin with. But you have to do two pracitcum/seminars, and then student teaching before your BA.

that and pass the praxis 1 and 2, right?

14wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

brummy

brummy

oh, and if this music shit doesnt work out to where i can make a comfortable living playing shows, recording and selling merch, etc. then im probably gonna go on to grad school. i got accepted to william and mary this past summer into their operations research masters program (it's all about efficiency, maximizing profits, making the most out of resources available, computer modeling problems, mathy bullshit like that) and i definitely wouldnt mind ending up there sometime in the future. if not, ill try to put my math degree and the computer science degree im currently working on to good use somewhere doing something for somebody.

15wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:15 pm

DirtCity

DirtCity

hosebeast wrote:

I went to Ohio Valley University. As I understand it, as my girlfriend is a full time teacher in Wood County, you do your four year degree. You can specialize in a certain subject or something, but you get your degree in an educational field. Then you do a semester of student teaching. Then you have to take the Praxis test. You don't have to get your Masters unless you want to teach at a college, and if you have it, public schools will hire you and pay you more than if you just had a BA.

If I decided I wanted to teach full time, I would go through a semester or two of education courses (since all my general courses would be finished already), do a semester of student teaching, take the Praxis and look for a job.

16wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:04 pm

matt254543

DirtCity wrote:
hosebeast wrote:

I went to Ohio Valley University. As I understand it, as my girlfriend is a full time teacher in Wood County, you do your four year degree. You can specialize in a certain subject or something, but you get your degree in an educational field. Then you do a semester of student teaching. Then you have to take the Praxis test. You don't have to get your Masters unless you want to teach at a college, and if you have it, public schools will hire you and pay you more than if you just had a BA.

If I decided I wanted to teach full time, I would go through a semester or two of education courses (since all my general courses would be finished already), do a semester of student teaching, take the Praxis and look for a job.

You can teach 2 year degree courses at WVUP with a BA.

Last edited by matt254543 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total

17wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Haverchuck

Haverchuck

I'm in the teaching program at Marshall, can't wait to drop some knowledge bombs on kids in high school and middle school next year when I start student teaching.

http://www.myspace.com/downgoesfrazier

18wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Zetterberger

Zetterberger

I wanna be a homosexual.

19wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:36 am

Hoarse Pat

DirtCity wrote:
hosebeast wrote:

Must be different in Ohio I guess, or maybe I misunderstood. And I forgot about the Praxis.

20wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:29 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

it's easier to become a teacher in ohio, i do know that.

21wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

i have an interview with a certain wetzel county high school's athletic director tomorrow and i'm about to head out the door to go meet with a harrison county head coach during his team's last practice before a long trip tomorrow for the playoffs.

keep yr fingers crossed for me, guise!

22wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:08 am

hosebeast

hosebeast

COACHBEAST

23wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:01 am

dingbat

dingbat

I tried to be a teacher. Then I remembered how much I hate school.

http://www.myspace.com/heartholdstrue

24wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Empty Re: wudda you wanna be when u grow up? Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:34 pm

hosebeast

hosebeast

r u guys guna come watch me yell at kids next year for messing up on an athletic field

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum